Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] File/Artifact Encryption & Archive Properties

... But that is the problem I am pointing out.

Having a blob of bytes and knowing it is encrypted with AES-256 is not sufficient to open it. I have to know that it is encrypted using Zip encryption with AES-256, or 7zip encryption with AES-256, as these are different things.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security

From:        "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>
To:        Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Cc:        "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        09/25/2017 10:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback all – I agree with Jane that we need a diagram or description (probably) of when to use the File vs. Artifact Objects.

> I like the idea but I wonder if "encryption_algorithm" should be "encryption_method".

Well, right now this property refers to the actual algorithm (e.g., AES128-CBC, RSA, etc. via the Encryption Algorithm Vocabulary [1]) used to encrypt the data in the file, so I think keeping the original name would be preferable since it doesn’t capture the application method.

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fWHWyo9OBOUVDKEs0HsMKIWqR8HTl3P8aDyM5Mz3iSM/edit#heading=h.h5b9uravt8oh

Regards,
Ivan

Re: [cti-cybox] File/Artifact Encryption & Archive Properties

I like the idea but I wonder if "encryption_algorithm" should be "encryption_method".

What do you want someone to put in that field? "AES-256", or something that also describes the application method used to encrypt the file?

-