Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] File/Artifact Encryption & Archive Properties

Jason Keirstead wrote this message on Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:43 -0300:
> ... But that is the problem I am pointing out.
>
> Having a blob of bytes and knowing it is encrypted with AES-256 is not
> sufficient to open it. I have to know that it is encrypted using Zip
> encryption with AES-256, or 7zip encryption with AES-256, as these are
> different things.

I agree that the above need to be specified differently...  If you
specify AES-256-CBC, the key and the data needs to be passed to the
AES256-CBC algorithm as specified by NIST and come out w/ the resulting
data.  If 7z or pkzip, etc are the container of the encrypted data, that
needs to be specified via something like 7z-aes256-ecb.  (The reason I
said ECB, is that I cannot find any documentation about what mode 7z uses,
so I will not assume that it's more secure than ECB, i.e. it's unusable
and insecure.)

--
John-Mark