cti-users message

Subject: Re: [cti-users] âSignatureâ of STIX Objects

"âFor meâ at the moment, the specific signing standard is not overly important as long as a consumer knows where to find the upstream public signatures for downstream/consumer validation."

FWIW, this specific problem is IMHO larger than the canonicalization aspect, and is one of the greatest limiting factors for STIX signatures (I've been talking about how vital this since 2015 - http://making-security-measurable.1364806.n2.nabble.com/STIX-STIX-1-2-Multiple-Descriptions-JSON-Options-tp7587294p7587336.html).

Without having any kind of defined approach for how one is supposed to validate (a) what the signing authority was, and (b) that a given signing authority was even allowed to sign that content, signatures do not have much value.

I will be interested in how you approach this problem, if you plan to advocate for a DNS based system like DANE, some kind of a known-URI-for-producer-domain system, or a centralized model like other systems.

-
Jason Keirstead
Lead Architect - IBM Security Connect
www.ibm.com/security

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Unknown

From:        Stephen Russett <stephen@digitalstate.ca>
To:        Bret Jordan <jordan2175@gmail.com>
Cc:        cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org
Date:        11/23/2018 03:25 PM
Sent by:        <cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org>

Thanks for the quick feedback.
So given lack of standards, in the mean time I am going to implement a custom property that implements a signing/validating strategy pattern and for a first pattern just use something similar to how JWT tokens sign their content for public key validation.
Specifically so that someone can have a signed content and verify that content with a ~public PKI listing.

âFor meâ at the moment, the specific signing standard is not overly important as long as a consumer knows where to find the upstream public signatures for downstream/consumer validation.

something like âx_signature: â â, which can be easily implemented with helpers in a libraryâs implementation.

Would you say that a standard is ânearâ? or 2020+ type of thing?