Subject: What we need to do to get the learning specialization ready for DITA 1.2

Dear DITA learning and training content specialization sub-committee,

The DITA Technical Committee is keeping to a tight schedule for consideration and approval of updates for DITA 1.2, the next major update to the DITA specification slated for submission for OASIS approval in 2008. In sum, we need to have the designs and specifications for learning and training content ready to submit for review by the TC by October 30, so TC members can vote on approving them for inclusion in DITA 1.2 at the regular TC meeting on November 13.

Please see details below about what we need to have ready and when.

Due to all of the good participation and input from all of you, I think we have a very solid design in place, which provides a good starter set of learning topic types, a supporting map domain, a set of basic interaction types to support assessments, and a solid support plan for IEEE LOM metadata.

Now is the time to review these designs, and make any necessary revisions to them as we ready them for submission to the DITA TC.

The latest designs, samples, and language spec are available with the learningsc_plugin -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/download.php/25497/learningsc_plugin.zip
And the most recent version of the language spec is also available by itself here -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/download.php/25496/draft1_dita_learning_spec.zip

If possible, please plan to attend and provide input at our regular sub-committee meetings Thursdays at 4-5 pm ET, or circulate your reviews and comments to the dita-learningspec list, according to the review schedule below.
Details: What we need ready in order to make it into DITA 1.2
In order to get our learning and training content specialization ready for submission and inclusion with DITA 1.2, we need to have the specification, DTDs, and schemas ready to submit for review and approval by the DITA Technical Committee by November 13. We do not need to have resolved or developed supporting specialized processing by November 13, but we need to have complete specifications, including the reference doc, working DTD and schema modules, and sample content ready by then.

Targets
In order to make this November 13 date, we need to make the following targets for completing, reviewing, and approval our designs and the language specifications the describe them.

October 4 Sub-committee final review and approval of the DTD/schema designs and language specifications for the topic (except learning plan) elements, map domain elements, and interactions domain elements.

October 16 We submit a summary design proposal for our work to the DITA TC. This is a formality, but places us on the agenda for November 13.

October 18 Sub-committee final review and approval of the DTD/schema designs and language specifications for the learning plan topic and LOM metadata domain elements.

October 25 Review of overview and introduction section of the spec - John Accardi and Reuben Tozman are drafting this.

October 30 We submit the DTD/schema designs, samples, and language specification for review by the full DITA Technical Committee.

November 13 - The DITA TC reviews the designs and specifications and votes on their readiness for inclusion in the 1.2 update to the DITA spec.
Pending DITA TC review and approval, the DTD/schema designs and language specifications will get included with the DITA 1.2 specification being assembled for submission to OASIS for review and approval in 2008.

November - December - We tackle processing, with primary target of SCORM and secondary target PDF, according to our Phased Design Plan. The processing would get delivered separately from the DTD/schema designs and language specification, and made available to the community as part of a DITA Open Toolkit plugin module on a schedule TBD.

Thanks for you attention to this.

John
John Hunt
DITA Architect / Lotus Education Development
Chair, OASIS DITA learning and training content sub-committee
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
john_hunt@us.ibm.com