Subject: Re: [dita-learningspec] Groups - DITA Learning Content SC Meeting modified

John,

Glad to see you're exercising these topic types! (And for all to know - John and Reuben are planning to use the learning content types for the overview sections, including an assessment, which is very exciting.)

I like this suggestion about making <section> available in the learningContentbody. So much so that I've updated the learningContent.mod in the working plugin DTDs to make one or more <section>s available in the learningContentbody.

Go here and see how it works - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/download.php/25652/learningsc_plugin.zip.

As for making a generic concept available within the learningContentbody, that would only be possible if we were specializing learningContent from concept. Others might make an equally valid case for specializing learningContent from task.

So, the best resolution to me seems to be what we've done - make <section> available in learningContentbody, which lets you include any kind of generic content you'd like, plus make specialized concept, task, and reference (as well as provide an easy extension point to additional a specialized types) available for inclusion in a learningContent topic as nested child topics. I think this provides maximum flexibility - you can include generic content directly in the learningContentbody with section, and you can include specialized, more specifically structured, content as nested topics.

John Hunt

From: John Accardi <John.Accardi@Sun.COM>
To: john_hunt@us.ibm.com
Cc: dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 10/11/2007 08:47 AM

Hi John, Team,

  When working with learningContent.dtd the past few days I was trying
to put all my spec content into learningContentBody and was trying to
insert <section>s which were not allowed.  I had to end my
learningContentBody and create a sibling concept below it to get the
<section> involved like I wanted.  Can you comment as to whether this is
an intended/desirable restriction to the contents of
learningContenBody?  I would think that anything that is allowed in
concept would also be allowed inside learningContentBody.  At the very
least I would think that a generic concept, should be allowed itself as
a child of learningContentBody.  Intuitively a generic concept should be
part of the body of learning content?

  Thanks for any insights.
  John

--
John Accardi
Senior Instructional Designer, Solaris Curriculum Development