dita-translation message

Subject: RE: [dita-translation] Changes to documentation of xml:lang and translateattributes

I have a couple of questions about the locale. Perhaps I should not have
used that word in describing xml:lang -- the confusion I wish to clarify is
that it means more than simply language. For example, if we need to
generate text that describes the compartment on the back of a vehicle, a
setting of xml:lang="en-us" will generate "Trunk", while a setting of
xml:lang="en-gb" will generate "Boot".

So, the first question is - how can that distinction be made in the Spec?
If we simply call it language, it is not clear that DITA is *in fact* able
to distinguish between different flavors of a single language.

Second - is there a need for a separate locale distinction in the DITA
source?  I would expect most locale settings to be based on system settings
(where local production rules are applied), rather than on something
described in the source. In the beer example, I would also expect this to
be coded differently. If you want to display a value that varies based on
locale, you would code it as <ptr value="germanybeerprice"/>, and look up
both the value and the unit of measurement. If you want to say that it
costs 5, then you would indicate the unit of measurement. If you do not
want to type the Euro character, DITA can still make this easy by letting
you specialize a <euro> element for ease of authoring.

I don't mean to say by this that there is no need to set the locale in the
source, though - I feel that I'm on the edge of coming up with a good use
case, but just can't quite do it. The closest I can come is a price list
from a German store. If they want to sell in the US, they will translate
the product descriptions to "en-us", but would keep the prices constant in
Euros. However, I think they would still want to code the Euro character
with the price, just like American companies going the other way would
hardcode the $. Otherwise, down the road, somebody will force the display
into their native locale, and the German store will get $500 US for a 500
Euro product.

Can anybody else come up with a better use case? One that would require
users to set the locale in the source, rather than relying on the system
settings? As with the dir attribute, I would hesitate to rush it in for 1.1
unless we see a real need for it.

Robert D Anderson
Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit

             "Gershon L
             Joseph"
             <gershon@tech-tav                                          To
             .com>                     "'Felix Sasaki'" <fsasaki@w3.org>,
                                       Robert D
             03/03/2006 04:04          Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
                                       <bhertz@sdl.com>, "'Bryan
                                       Schnabel'"
             Please respond to         <bryan.s.schnabel@tek.com>, Charles
                  gershon              Pau/Cambridge/IBM@Lotus, "'Lieske,
                                       Christian'"
                                       <christian.lieske@sap.com>, Dave A
                                       Schell/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       <dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.
                                       org>, <dpooley@sdl.com>, "'Richard
                                       Ishida'" <ishida@w3.org>,
                                       "'Jennifer Linton'"
                                       <jennifer.linton@comtech-serv.com>,
                                       <mambrose@sdl.com>,
                                       <patrickk@scriptware.nl>,
                                       <pcarey@lexmark.com>,
                                       <Peter.Reynolds@lionbridge.com>,
                                       <rfletcher@sdl.com>,
                                       <Sukumar.Munshi@lionbridge.com>,
                                       <tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.
                                       com>, "'Yves Savourel'"
                                       <ysavourel@translate.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dita-translation] Changes to
                                       documentation of xml:lang and
                                       translate attributes

Felix, has the ITC defined a separate attribute for locale? If so, what did
you call it? If the ITS specifies separate attributes for language and
locale, then I think DITA should too. I suppose they'd be xml:lang and
xml:locale? Please could you confirm, and I'll add them to my proposal.

Thanks also for the links, I'll add them to my documentation proposal.

Best Regards,
Gershon