Subject: A motion to clarify close of input for 1.1

There has been some confusion among TC members about what the end of
October means for the "pending" documents that have not yet been submitted
for TC acceptance.  A reading of past minutes seems to confirm that the end
of October was meant to be the close of scope for 1.1 issue nominations
that we are accepting for review, but not necessarily that written
Submissions must be filed by the end of the month.

Thanks to Seraphim for this research--here are the motions and decisions
regarding schedule:

      10/4/05 --

                1. How and when to close 1.1 scope

                    - Paul Prescod suggested using email.

                    - Don Day explained that realistically, we will not get

                      through the entire issues list. He proposed -- as at
            the
                      last meeting -- that all proposals should be
            submitted by
                      the end of the month. He then asked if anything
                      significant was on the way.

                    - JoAnn Hackos mentioned that the bookmap proposal is
                      important. She then asked about FO output, but Don
            Day
                      explained that FO output is an issue for the DITA
            Open
                      Toolkit, not the DITA standard.

                    - Paul Prescod brought up "meta-issues": clarity,
            separation
                      of concerns etc.

                    - Don Day requested that issues not yet discussed be
                      nominated at the next meeting, to be accepted by the
            end
                      of the month. Paul Prescod proposed the motion, ALan
                      Hauser seconded. It was accepted by acclamation.
      10/11/05 --

            - Write-in:  Make sure we capture any items that have not been
              discussed -- no more new items to be accepted after the end
            of the
              month
                - Action (Yas Ettessam):  Go through all the sign-up lists
            and
                  minutes, and capture all the items that have been
            approved
                  since June.  What is left over that hasn't been fully
                  discussed?
                    - Yas Ettessam volunteered to do that.

                - Don -- Is anyone working on anything else that still
            needs to
                  be discussed/approved by the committee that will be ready
            by
                  the end of the month?
                    - Chris Kravogel --
                        - #4 xNAL
                        - #5 ANSI warning labels
                        - #8 Allow <tm> to contain images or logoized
            content

                    - Indi Liepa -- Working on item #19 (more general task
                      type), but stuck because of lack of time.   Do hope
                      finish by end of month.

                    - Eric Sirois -- Item #35 (unknown element).  Trying to
            get
                      all the people together so we can put the final
            proposal
                      together.

                    - Michael Priestley -- Plan to finish the following by
            end
                      of month:
                        - 6, 14, 17, 20, 40, 42, 43

Now, I admit the wording is not precise, so I'd like to clear things up. If
we mean that the writeups for all remaining "Pending" items are to be
Submitted by Oct 31, there will be some very grouchy people at our next TC
meeting. But seeing that we cannot possibly get through all submissions for
some time anyway, I have no problem suggesting that "the 1.1-scope
nominations for Pending issues are closed, but we can only process
Submissions as fast as we can get through them, so there is time for
Pending issue owners to finish the job."

For the sake of clear unanimity on what "end of October/close of scope for
1.1" means, I propose the following. If no one objects, we'll give
remaining Pending writers time this weekend to see their families, and
we'll formally approve this proposal at the start of our next meeting.

A motion to clarify the schedule for close of 1.1 nominations and
completion of writeups for inclusion in 1.1:

      Don Day, DITA TC Chair, proposes that all proposals listed in the
      categories "Design Approved", "Proposal Approved", "Submitted", and
      "In Progress" are to be considered active proposals for inclusion in
      the 1.1 spec, whether or not they have been submitted to the TC yet
      as a formal writeup.

      Don Day further proposes that writeups for all proposals in the "In
      Progress" stage (yet to enter the "Submitted" and subsequent
      "Proposal Appoved" stages) must be presented to the TC by Monday
      November 14, 2005 (three meetings from now); otherwise, the proposal
      will be dropped from consideration for the 1.1 spec.

      Don Day further proposes that final writeups for all proposals in the
      "Proposal Approved" stage (yet to undergo final submission to the TC
      and to enter the "Design Appoved" stage) must be presented to the TC
      by Monday, December 5, 2005 (six meetings from now); otherwise, the
      proposal will be dropped from consideration for the 1.1 spec.

Your tacit agreement to this proposal today (and presumed approval on
Tuesday) will mean that writers will have some time to properly finish
their submission work.  I don't need to hear from you unless you have an
objection, which will mean that Pending writers MUST work through the
weekend to finish their Submission inputs by Monday.

Regards,
--
Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee