Subject: MEETING MINUTES -- 01 November 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES -- 01 November 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
(Minutes taken by Seraphim Larsen <seraphim.l.larsen@intel.com>)

DITA Technical Committee website:
    - Public:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita
    - Members only: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/

- Roll call
    - We do have quorum today

- Review/approve minutes from previous meeting
    -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15060/TC-
Meeting-Minutes-2005-10-25.txt
    - Michael Priestley moves to accept the minutes as read
        - Alan Houser seconds
        - No objections
        - PROPOSAL APPROVED by acclamation

- New issues:
    - Clarification of 1.1 close of input (need vote)
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200510/msg00122.html
        - Don makes the following motion:
            - Don Day, DITA TC Chair, proposes that all proposals
              listed in the categories "Design Approved", "Design
              Submitted", "Proposal Approved", "Proposal Submitted",
              and "In Progress" are to be considered active
              proposals for inclusion in the 1.1 spec, whether or
              not they have been submitted to the TC yet as a formal
              writeup.  No additional proposals are to be considered
              for 1.1.

            - Don Day further proposes that writeups for all
              proposals in the "In Progress" stage (yet to enter the
              "Proposal Submitted" and subsequent "Proposal Appoved"
              stages) must be presented to the TC by Monday November
              14, 2005 (three meetings from now); otherwise, the
              proposal will be dropped from consideration for the
              1.1 spec.
                >>> In other words, the proposal writeups
                    (concept/outline) for all proposals must be
                    submitted by this date.

            - Don Day further proposes that the design writeups for
              all proposals in the "Proposal Approved" stage must be
              submitted to the TC by Monday, December 5, 2005 for
              the "Design Submitted" milestone; otherwise, the
              proposal will be dropped from consideration for the
              1.1 spec.
                >>> In other words, the detailed design writeups for
                    all proposals must be submitted by this date.
                    There will still be opportunity to discuss,
                    debate, and revise the details of the design
                    (both on the List and at the TC meeting, as
                    needed).

            - Seraphim Larsen moves that we accept the three-part
              proposal as written above.
                - Michael Priestley seconds
                - No objections
                - PROPOSAL APPROVED by acclamation

            - Bruce Esrig -- We should come up with a template or
              list of requirements that defines exactly what must go
              into the design proposal.  ACTION ITEM for Don Day.

    - Michael Priestley moves to accept Erik Hennum's proposal to
      add the "Chunking" issue to the "In Progress" list (expansion
      of the "chunk" attribute).
        - JoAnn Hackos seconds
        - No objections
        - PROPOSAL APPROVED by acclamation

    - Issues tracking:
        - Features list
        - Definition of Status Phases:
            - In Progress:  Author(s) still working on proposal
            - Proposal Submitted:  Proposal concept/outline has been
              submitted to TC for consideration; needs TC decision
              (vote) in order to proceed.  DEADLINE: All proposals
              must be in this phase by 14 Nov 2005, or will be
              dropped from the 1.1 spec.
            - Proposal Approved:  TC has approved the proposal;
              authors working to complete the design
            - Design Submitted:  Working detailed design has been
              submitted to TC for consideration (discussion, debate,
              and possible revision). DEADLINE:  All proposals must
              be in this phase by 05 Dec 2005, or will be dropped
              from the 1.1 spec.
            - Design Approved:  Final design of the proposal has
              been approved.
            - Postponed:  Proposal has been postponed to post-1.1.

    - Design Approved:
        - # 9 New DATA element
        - #12 Make universal attributes completely universal

    - Design Submitted:
        - None currently in this phase

    - Proposal Approved:
        - #20 Extensible metadata attributes
        - #11 Create elements for text attributes with translatable text
        - #40 Keyref architecture
        - #23 Embed version numbers into catalogs
        - #45 Add See, See Also indexing elements
        - #45a Add sort order indexing elements
        - #45b Add page range indexing elements

    - Proposal Submitted:
        - #34: Constraints - restriction without specialization (was
replacement domains)
            -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200510/msg00071.html (latest)
                - Erik Hennum moves to accept this proposal and move
                  it into the "Proposal Approved" phase
                    - Bruce Esrig seconds
                    - No objections
                    - PROPOSAL APPROVED by acclamation

        - All the following items will be addressed at next week's
          TC meeting -- we ran out of time today.

        - #32: Domain and topic integration
            -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200510/msg00048.html
        - #8: Allow tm to contain images or logo content
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15055/Iss
ueNumber08_.htm
        - #38: Bookmap / bkinfo revision
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15056/Iss
ueNumber38.htm
        - #5 Add ANSI warning labels as addition to element
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15057/Iss
ueNumber5-haz.htm
        - #19 Introduce new, more general task type
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15058/Iss
ueNumber19-task.htm
        - # 4 Use subset of OASIS xNAL standard for addresses
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15112/Iss
ueNumber4.htm
        - # 6 Make @role (and other enumerated attribues) unenumerated
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15115/Iss
ueNumber06.html
        - #17a Conref - improved specialization support
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15116/Iss
ueNumber17a.html
        - #17b Conref - with delta (applying changes)
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15117/Iss
ueNumber17b.html
        - #17c Conref - referencing a range of elements
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15118/Iss
ueNumber17c.html
        - #17d Conref and conditional processing - preserve without
resolving
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15119/Iss
ueNumber17d.html
        - #17e Conref - push instead of pull
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15120/Iss
ueNumber17e.html
        - #42 shortdesc flexibility (includes #41)
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15121/Iss
ueNumber42.html
        - #43 Semantic (implicit) linking
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15122/Iss
ueNumber43.html
        - #35 Support foreign content vocabularies such as MathML and
SVG
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/15123/Iss
ueNumber35.html

    - In progress:
        - #14 Specialize glossary entry and definition elements

    - Postponed to Post 1.1:
        - #37 Reconciling topic and elements
        - #47 Structured Sections (by request--converging thoughts with
#34)

    - Post 1.1: everything else

- Spec and process issues (from Yas's notes, other comments):
    - Update DITA 1.0 DTD/Schema specification (bug fixes and
      comment edits)
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200507/msg00058.html
          among others

    - Naming convention
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200509/msg00024.html
          (approved 2005-09-30)

    - OASIS artifact naming guidelines (to follow where applicable)
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200507/maillist.html

    - Relax the related links content model so it can be empty (more
      of a fix issue)
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200509/msg00050.html
          (proposal)
        -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/14855/TC-
Meeting-Minutes-04-October-2005.txt
          (approved for 1.1 timing)

    - Documenting DITA design principles (not approved yet)
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200510/msg00005.html

    - Details in the DITA spec--Priestley ("There are some cases...
      where the spec needs to be updated")
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200510/msg00059.html
        - behavior of conref with attributes on the referencing
          element
        - why a content fragment has to be addressed within a topic

    - Styling options for conditional text
    - Recognizing DITA documents

- New worked proposals (unnumbered) from members:
    - Extensibility of DITA through new attributes
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200508/msg00065.html
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200508/msg00069.html
          and following

    - Styling Options for Conditional Text
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200508/msg00066.html
          and following
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200509/msg00025.html

    - Recognizing DITA Documents
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200508/msg00067.html
          and following

    - Start of documenting DITA design principles (Paul Prescod)
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200510/msg00005.html

    - Module Registry proposal (Bruce Esrig)
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200510/msg00097.html

<end>