Subject: [dita] MEETING MINUTES -- 14 March 2006 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

Here are the minutes from this week's meeting.
Agenda:
8:00-8:05 Roll call

Roll call --> We have quorum

8:05-8:10 Review/approve minutes from previous meeting:
- http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200603/msg00015.html (8 March 2006)
    Don moves to accept the minutes as read, Michael seconds, no objections, approved and accepted by acclamation.

Business:

- Review Translation Subcommittee proposals
- http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200603/msg00027.html

Johann goes through email that she sent that define the proposal:[dita] [dita-translation] TC/DITA/Translation Subcommittee Proposals.
Major points are:
* DIR Attribute - Manages right to left.
* Ruby Attribute/element - The ruby attribute/element is used in some languages to provide an annotation indicating how certain characters should be pronounced.
* Xml:lang Attribute.- That the DITA 1.1 specification maintain the xml:lang attributed as currently specified in DITA 1.0. That specification stated that xml:lang values are validated by RFC3066 or its successors.

Don proposes that proposal for DIR attribute be accepted. Proposal: That the DITA 1.1 specification include the DIR attribute as a universal attribute with the values of LTR, RTL, LRO, and RLO. No default value is to be specified for the DITA DTD.
Rob Franklin seconds, no objection, accepted by acclamation.

Johann suggests that we postpone consideration until there is more details about implementation. There is no specific request to enable Ruby and might be premature to include because no recommendation is ready now. Draft of recommendation should be available in about a month. Don proposes that we ask the TC to postpone until 1.2, Johann seconds. No objection, accepted.

Johann suggest that we make no change in the current implementation of xml:lang. Lots discussion was generated because organization can add invalid values to this attribute. Discussions were on whether or not we should include a formal list of values. There are potential problem especially since value may change frequently. Caution is that we need a best practice. Someone is starting to write a draft to propose that each enterprise list their own values and offer them to their authors. Don proposes that we need to change language article that sites values for xml:lang or eliminate it.
' Action for Johann to update the description of xml:lang in documentation.

Don proposes that we accept xml:lang recommendation as stated in email. Johann seconds. No objection, accepted.
Action to Don Day ' Make appropriate update to documentation in Open Toolkit.

- Review Indexing proposals (Chris Wong)

  - See/See Also:
  - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/17108/IssueNumber45.html

Don: Is this backward compatible
Chris: yes. Idea is to build on existing indexterms. It does not limit the indexterm. No migration of old sources is required.
Don: Typical use cases for book oriented output, although could also be online.
Bruce Esrig proposes that we accept this as defined. Chris Kravlov seconds. No objection, accepted.

  - Sort Order:
  - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/17109/IssueNumber45a.html

Don: would also be added to the see and see also elements, which is not represented in the example, which presents only the simpler case.
Chris: Yes.
Eliot: don't like the name sort order, would prefer sort-as, which might also be the name for docbook.
Sharon: are we trying to make it different from docbook that writes 'sortas' in one word, without the hyphen.
Bruce: should names from docbook be normative for DITA?
Nancy says if people are used to it it would be more recognizable to use the same terminology.

Elliot proposes that we accept the proposal with the minor change of using 'index-sort-as' as a name instead of 'index-sort-order'. Sharon seconds. No objection, accepted.

  - Page Range Indexing:
  - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/17110/IssueNumber45b.html

France: does XSL-FO support that
Don: one way to look at this we are creating opportunity for vendors to start and support more functionalities.
Paul P. Says did we agree as a committee to put page ranges into 1.1?
Don: it was implicit when we said we would include indexing proposal.
Johann: addition to the bookmap proposal.
Paul: Mildly against if topics are as they should be a problem to have this at the topic level, where it brings inconsistency.
Johann: thought it was supposed to be at the map level.
Unknown: Start range does make sense but is an end-range relevant?

Don: Cross road. Not close to resolution, we should continue discussion on the list. And let's try to come to resolution and have a quick vote next week. And let's move following issues to next week.

-------- End of meeting-------
----- The rest is postponed to next week ------

- Review #35 "unknown" element design--foreign content vocabularies such as SVG, MathML (ErikH, EricS);
- http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/unknown

- Review #20 metadata proposal (Michael Priestley)
- http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/13793/IssueNumber20.html

Time permitting:

- Discuss [http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200603/msg00009.html Glossary submission] for book theme

- Prescod questions on the list: