Subject: MEETING MINUTES -- 25 April 2006 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

Best Regards,
Gershon

---
Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
http://www.tech-tav.com
MEETING MINUTES -- 25 April 2006 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
(Minutes taken by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

Date:  Tuesday, 25 April 2006
Time:  08:00am - 09:00am PT

DITA Technical Committee Web site:
- Public:       http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita
- Members only: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/
- Wiki:         http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/

Resources for this meeting:
- DITA Wiki home page:
    http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/

Roll call --> We have quorum

Approve Minutes from previous meeting:
 * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17738/DITA-notes-2006-0418.htm
 * Don moves to accept the minutes as recorded by Bruce, Rob Frankland seconds,
    no objections, approved by acclamation as recorded.

Announcements:

* OASIS TC interoperability proposal
    * Michael P gave brief introduction to interoperability proposal
    * Form a document standards interoperability TC with members from DITA, ODF
        and DocBook to consider reuse scenarios and see what's needed for
        content reuse among the OASIS TCs. This group will take recommendations
        back to their TCs.
    --ACTION-- Michael to post link to new TC area on OASIS Web site.

* User Assistance (UA) TC proposal
    * Paul P -- list has already been created to discuss proposed user
        assistance TC.
    * Don asks all TC members to review Paul's proposal for the UA TC.

Regular Business:

* Resume discussions of #20 metadata proposal (Michael Priestley)
    * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17329/IssueNumber20.html
    *  Michael -- discussion is ongoing; proposes additional meeting to continue
        offline discussion to help the group conclude their proposal next week.
        Same group as before; anyone else who wants to join the meeting please
        email Michael directly; all parties who would like to participate in
        should email Michael with possible date/time slots for the next meeting.

* Review #38 ["Bookmap revision"] proposal (Don Day); Design Complete?
    * proposal: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/15795/IssueNumber38-Bookmap.htm
    * HTML Help view of proposed DTD:
        * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17522/new-bookmap-book.chm
    * Previous discussions:
        * titles proposal: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200604/msg00110.html
        * xNAL adaptation
        * case preference
        * migration considerations
    * Don and Robert summarize the changes to the proposal to date.
    * Don asks if we're OK with the new title element being added to 1.1 in
        order to support bookmap. No objections.
    * Robert proposes we move the following portion of #11 into DITA 1.1
        scope: allow title element in maps, Gershon seconds, no objections,
        moved and seconded to accept this scope change in DITA 1.1.
    --DECISION-- title element in maps will be included in DITA 1.1
    --ACTION ITEM-- Robert to send this part of the #11 proposal to the list
        for review.
    * Chris -- Summarizes xNAL (OASIS standard) primary use.
    * Don -- The idea is to create DITA markup that's essentially a subset of
        xNAL, required to provide the level of naming support we need.
    * Robert summaries issues: should this be a domain rather than part of
        bookmap? As domain it is available any place <data> is valid.
    * Don -- Is there value in exposing this to everywhere <data> is valid?
    * Paul P -- What's the cost?
    * Robert -- Don't know yet. Reasons not to are (1) it's a scope change and
        (2) we don't know what technical issues may arise. Reason for putting
        it as domain is forward looking. Paul proposes we take the domain
        approach and see how it develops.
    * Robert will try resolving xNAL this week and get the revised proposal
        out later this week.

--Next week we'll look at these 2 proposals.

--Meeting adjourned after 60 minutes.