Subject: RE: [dita] Booklibrary

Paul and Don,

The title element was specialized to booklibrary in order to let authors
distinguish between the various parts of a title. In some situations, it
will be appropriate for the entire contents to be displayed as a title
(such as in a citation or bibliography listing). In others, you may want to
pick one piece for display. It was felt that all of these pieces made up
part of the title, so it was appropriate to specialize the title element.

For generalization purposes, it would probably be appropriate to add a
space or some character between the parts rather than concatenating
everything. This is not a lot different than some of our current phrase
specializations, such as the menucascade element. When displayed, this
always results in arrows and spaces (that is, -> characters) between the
cascading child elements. To generalize without these will work, but does
lose some of the anticipated effect.

Forgetting about any similar elements for a moment - do you have
suggestions for other places to put the library or other parts of the
title?

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787

Don Day/Austin/IBM@IBMUS wrote on 06/13/2006 07:56:13 AM:

> Paul, I will take you up on this, as a way to help get the formal bookmap
> documentation started.  We need to integrate the new, unique
documentation
> into the shell topics generated from the DTD itself, so for now let's
just
> get a set of topics with shortdescs that have clear ids that we can reuse
> for conrefing this content into other topics later on (or vice versa on
the
> generated linking information).
>
> This resource got orphaned in my last update of the main page--I'll add
it
> back in somewhere:
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Bookmap_revision
>
> Specific information about some of the proposed elements is in the
original
> proposal at:
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/dW_Bookmap_Proposal
>
> I have no notes on hand about the booklibrary element proposal--I need
> someone on the original design team to remind us of the intent of that
> element.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Don Day
> Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
> IBM Lead DITA Architect
> Email: dond@us.ibm.com
> 11501 Burnet Rd. MS9033E015, Austin TX 78758
> Phone: +1 512-838-8550
> T/L: 678-8550
>
> "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
>  Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"
>    --T.S. Eliot
>

>              "Paul Prescod"

>              <paul.prescod@xme

>              tal.com>