Subject: Re: [dita] DITA 1.2 suggestion--add a class attribute to the dita element

Grosso, Paul wrote:

> It seems as if specializating the dita element would be useful to allow
> individuals and organizations to add topic specializations and include
> them in a ditabase without having to include their specialization in all
>
> ditabases.  So, the suggestion is to add a class attribute to the dita
> element
> so that it can be specialized.

I don't object to allowing <dita> to be specialized, but I'm not sure I
understand the justification.

If we agree that any local use of DITA requires local copies of any
shell DTDs you want to use, and certainly requires it in the case of
using specializations, then there should be no problem having even
multiple different dita base shell DTDs that allow different sets of
topic types.

Therefore I don't see how having specializations of <dita> is needed to
address the requirement.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen