Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 September 2007

Reminder: We are entering the season where countries change between summer and winter time. Please check your local time against the USA time zone to ensure you don't accidentally miss a TC meeting due to clock changes.

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 September 2007

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>

PENDING VOTES
-------------

The following items will be voted upon at the next TC meeting:

1.  None.

-------------

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 18 September 2007 at 08:00am PT.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200709/msg00037.html (11 September 2007)

    Accepted by acclamation.

3.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: Proposals for vote:

        1.  #12008 - vocabulary and integration constraints (Hennum)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/25090/IssueConstraints12008.html

            No additional comments from the TC.

            DECISION: TC accepted by acclamation proposal 12008.

        2.  #12010 - unify topics and domains (Hennum)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/25248/IssueDomainTopic12010.html

            Paul brought the TC's attention to the two draft-comments.

            First draft comment: The behavior described above for unknown
            modules is consistent with the DITA 1.1 specification and
            implementable. However, as long as we're reexamining the issue,
            would there be more value in having a simpler, consistent rule
            (either pessimistic for safety or optimistic for utility)?

            Erik: Currently, unknown structural modules are assumed not to be in
            the target, while unknown domain modules are assumed to be present
            in the target.

            Erik: It is possible to have modules that can't be inferred from the
            source and target. What should the policy be for such modules?

            Jim suggested removing the draft comment since we can't change the
            behavior currently stated in the architectural spec in a point
            release of the standard.

            Second draft comment: The Architectural Specification specifies
            something slightly different for resolving conflicts, but that would
            appear to be unsafe. If a <javaClass> topic can contain only a
            <javaMethod> topic but the generalizer specifies a source of
            javaMethod and a target of reference, the <javaClass> would end up
            containing a <reference>, which would be invalid.

            The TC noted that this section of the architectural spec needs to be
            rewritten as a result of this feature proposal, and we will ensure
            completeness and consistency as part of our technical review of the
            spec.

            DECISION: TC accepted by acclamation proposal 12010 with the
            deletion of the two draft comments.

    2.  ITEM: Review prepared proposals:

        1.  Revisit #12055 - Define Map Referencing Behaviors (Anderson)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24910/IssueNumber12055.html
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200709/msg00047.html (last discussion, Priestley)

            Discussions both on and off list are still on-going.

            Revisit next week.

            ACTION: Robert to summarize decisions to the list and submit a
            clarified proposal for consideration next week.

        2.  #12020 - Allow easy reuse of small pieces of text
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200709/msg00030.html (Updated proposal, Deborah - posted by Stan)
            * From Deborah: "Just a clarification... the PDF elides some
              draft-comment remarks, which speak of whether exists only where
              doesn't, or only where both and don't. There are probably other
              points where the draft proposal differs from what was discussed by
              the TC live. As Stan said, it's only intended to be a basis for
              further discussion. (On that note, did we miss any use cases?)"

            The current proposal is that for any element that currently allows
            #PCDATA but not <ph>, we will add <text> to that element.

            MP: That's different from what I proposed. I proposed that any
            element that allows #PCDATA that does not allow either <keyword> or

            ACTION: MP to respond to the list in reply to message 30, to clarify
            the crux of the proposal.

            Revisit next week.

        3.  Revisit #12035 - generic collation element (Pickett)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200708/msg00080.html (update, Pickett)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200708/msg00108.html (Eliot's rollup of discussions)
            * No recent discussion--ready to approve design?

            Don asked for someone to be a proxy for DP to help us move this
            proposal forward. No-one volunteered.

            The TC briefly discussed the proposal and realized we need to wait
            for Deborah to provide her updates when she's ready.

            ACTION: Jen and Alan to confer with remaining items on our list
            and to have any proposals that are ready for discussion to be
            available next week for discussion.

        4.  Reviewing TOC for 1.2 documentation
            * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Draft_1.2_TOC

            MP: Please take a look at the above URL. We have been working on the
            TOC of the new documentation set to move items out into new
            separate documents and to add placeholders for new content.
            Any input/feedback will be most welcome.