Subject: Re: [dita] Controlled values, @collection-type enumerations and glossaries

Hi, Deborah:

As currently specified, the controlled values proposal takes a conservative approach and only proposes binding to selection attributes.

However, the learning specialization and glossary enhancements both provide cases for controlled values beyond the selection attributes, so that limitation is probably artificial and doesn't gain much in simplicity anyway.

I can certainly see the value of declaring a collatable collection (reference lists spring to mind), especially one where some of the contents of the collection might be added dynamically via <navref> or <anchor>.

I have a big concern about putting values that are core to processing expectations into a completely rewriteable set. If someone adds a new type of platform or more specific part of speech, that won't have a fundamental impact on processing, but the linking expectations for sequence and family are defined.

What do you think?

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com