Subject: Re: [dita] Enumerated Attributes to be Unenumerated

Eliot Kimber wrote:
> The following attributes have enumerated values in DITA 1.1 and should
> probably have unconstrained values in DITA 1.2. I have listed
> @collection-type as an open issue as I can see solid arguments both for
> using the current values and for allowing new values.

Michael Priestly, Jeff Ogden, Robert Anderson, and myself met to discuss
the unenumeration proposal. We came to consensus on the final design
outlined below. I am posting this now so that the decision can be
considered for Tuesday's meeting. I will post a formal proposal before
the end of the day Friday.

Of the original list of attributes to potentially be unenumerated, we
determined that only the following should be unenumerated, with the
current values listed as either examples or values that must be
recognized by processors (depending on the nature of the values, which
should be clear from the current spec):

   - draft-comment/@disposition
   - author/@type
   - authorinformation/@type (is a specialization of author)
   - copyright/@type
   - permissions/@view
   - audience/@type, @job, @experiencelevel
   - publishtype/@value
   - bookrestriction/@value

These are attributes on which there are no particular processing
dependencies (that is, no known processors that strongly depend on
specific values) and for which the current set of values is clearly
insufficient.

All other enumerated attributes will continue to be enumerated for 1.2.
However, we identified two places where the current lists should be
extended:

- Add "spread" to the @expanse attribute. The value "spread" indicates
that, if possible, the object should be rendered across a multi-page
spread (normally a two-page spreads but some book designs may provide
for more pages in a spread, such as foldouts). If the rendition target
does not have anything corresponding to spreads then spread has the same
meaning as "page".

[I have current clients that have this requirement and it's a rendering
option that could be implemented by existing non-XSL-FO-based XML-aware
composition tools (e.g., InDesign, XPP, 3B2, etc.).]

- Add additional values to the note/@type attribute as identified by the
Machine Industry Subcommittee.

Once there is general tool support for some form of extensible
controlled value mechanism we can fully unenumerate the remaining
attributes.

We discussed the possibility of allowing local configuration of these
attributes by providing a parameter entity that would allow local shells
to change unenumerated attributes from being unconstrained to specifying
fixed lists of values. However, Michael pointed out that this could
potentially cause conrefs to result in invalid results per the current
constraints imposed by the conref facility, so we rejected this idea
since it would require revising the conref rules, which we did not want
to even suggest for 1.2.

Cheers,

Eliot

Senior Solutions Architect