Subject: DITA 1.2 implementation: task constraint

One more from the "more general task" item. One part of the proposal is to
allow existing users to keep the more constrained task model through the
new constraints function. The proposal does not address the extent of this
constraint (whether it should exactly replicate the existing task model or
allow some new flexibility):
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26791/IssueNumber12011v1.2rev3.html

Note that we will ship a DTD/Schema for the more general task exactly as
described in the proposal, so this question applies only to the constrained
version for users who want to keep the current model. I know from prior
discussion that the constraint should enforce the existing order of task
sections. However, I do not remember any discussion of the cardinality of
these items.

As I am the one creating the DTD, I should just stake a position for
comment. I remember the decision that constrained tasks should enforce the
current order (prereq, context, steps or steps-unordered, result, example,
postreq), so the constraint will enforce this. If the TC feels that the
constrained task should allow some sections to be [zero to many] instead of
[zero to one] that is fine, but this is just a notification that I am
currently assuming they should be left as-is.

Note again that the task module itself, and the loose task DTD, will allow
all of the freedom described in the proposal, so this only applies to the
constrained version.

Thanks -

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)