Subject: Problems with the task model

I’ve spent the entire day trying to figure out what has happened to the task model since I’m trying to write the Technical Content section of the Arch Spec.

 If you look at the 1.2 lang spec, <task>, you’ll find this claim

“In the document types provided by OASIS with DITA 1.0 and 1.1, the task only allowed a single set of steps. In DITA 1.2 this restriction is relaxed so that a task may define more than one set of steps. However, OASIS will continue to distribute a sample document type that only allows a single set (using the new constraints mechanism available with DITA 1.2), for use by those that prefer the more restrictive model.”

The original strict task model is in OT 1.5. However, in PTC’s Arbortext 5.4, there is only the “generic” loose task model.

Also, I understand that Arbortext will not support the constraint mechanism with this release. Doesn’t seem to be in future plans either.

That means that companies that are using and want the strict task model are stuck. It’s not being made available. Are we going to see that with all the editor vendors because they don’t understand that there are now two task types?

Next,

I looked at the 1.2 lang spec, <taskbody> .

It shows the generic task model (loose) as contained in ditabase and the standard original better task model in “task”. Makes no sense of course

Then, to quote

“The <taskbody> element is the main body-level element inside a task topic. A task body is designed to contain information specific to completing a task, such as prerequisites, contextual information, and steps. With DITA 1.2, the content model of taskbody is looser to accommodate additional task structures. OASIS provides a DITA constraint that mimics the previous tight content model so that users continue to have easy access to the strict model.”

Another quote:

In the document types provided by OASIS with DITA 1.0 and 1.1, the task only allowed a single set of steps. In DITA 1.2 this restriction is relaxed so that a task may define more than one set of steps. However, OASIS will continue to distribute a sample document type that only allows a single set (using the new constraints mechanism available with DITA 1.2), for use by those that prefer the more restrictive model.

I don’t see anything in the lang ref, the dtd or the Arbortext 5.4 implementation any provision for additional sets of steps. Where is this supposed to happen?

How do we correct these issues?

JoAnn

JoAnn Hackos PhD

President