Subject: Re: [dita] implications of @print and @rev

Being able to group releases logically, e.g., 2.x -> 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.
would definitely take the sting out of having to enumerate every release.

I think the taxonomy idea is useful generally and definitely warrants more
thought.

On 12/19/11 11:08 AM, "Michael Priestley" <mpriestl@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> Just had another thought - some of the logic could even be moved into the
> taxonomy.
>
> For example, if the version siblings are declared as a sequence
> (collection-type=sequence), could automatically assume that any filter on a
> particular node would also apply to its previous siblings.
>
> Would that be safe as a general rule? Or would there still be cases where you
> want just the particular node?
>
> If so, it might still be as simple as having two kinds of filter:
>
> - filter exactly this value
> - filter this value and related
>
> That syntax would apply to any kind of relationship you had in the taxo,
> including parent/child, next/prev...
>
> Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
> Lead IBM DITA Architect
> mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
> http://dita.xml.org/blog/25 <http://dita.xml.org/blog/25>
>

> From: Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
> To: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com>
> Cc: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>, Park Seth-R01164 <R01164@freescale.com>
> Date: 12/19/2011 11:58 AM
> Subject: Re: [dita] implications of @print and @rev
> Sent by: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
>

> Hi Eliot,
>
> One possibility is to expand filtering's awareness of relationships in a
> taxonomy map.
>
> Then, if you have a taxonomy that declares keys like this:
>
> product1
>         prod1ver1
>         prod1ver2
>         prod1ver3
>
> You've handled product and version in a single hierarchy, and the relationship
> between them using the hierarchy.
>
> Filtering out "prod1" could also automatically filter out anything tagged with
> its children; and filtering out "less than prod1ver3" should filter out
> prod1ver1, and prod1ver2
>
> Given use of a taxonomy to declare the relationships, it doesn't seem like the
> problem would grow exponentially more complex - just one or two more filter
> actions in the ditaval.
>
> Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
> Lead IBM DITA Architect
> mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
> http://dita.xml.org/blog/25 <http://dita.xml.org/blog/25>
>
> From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com>
> To: Park Seth-R01164 <R01164@freescale.com>, dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
> Date: 12/19/2011 11:28 AM
> Subject: Re: [dita] implications of @print and @rev
> Sent by: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
>

> The 1.2 (and earlier) specs specifically say that @rev should not be used
> for filtering. As I understand it, @rev is intended to reflect
> revisions-in-time of *the document*, not revisions of the thing documented.
>
> That suggests that a separate @props specialization is required for
> filtering on product release, if you want to do that.
>
> Of course, one challenge there is doing something like "filter out
> everything that applies to releases *after* release 1.2", which can't be
> [...]

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 512.554.9368
www.reallysi.com
www.rsuitecms.com