Subject: Re: [dita] Refinement of XSD Constraint Specifications

In working on the Machine Industry taskbody constraint, I have confirmed
that there are still limitations with what you can do with xs:redefine
that will require additional levels of groups.

In particular:

1. It is not possible to directly redefine a domain entity integration
group such that the base element type is not allowed. This is because when
you use xs:redefine to add element types to a group you must also
reference the original group and it has the effective occurrence value of
"1" for min and max occurs.

For example, given this base definition of the prereq group from
taskGrp.xsd:

<xs:group name="prereq">
  <xs:sequence>
    <xs:choice>
      <xs:element ref="prereq" minOccurs="0"/>
    </xs:choice>
  </xs:sequence>
   </xs:group>

The redefinition for integrating the taskreq domain would be:

<xs:group name="prereq">
  <xs:choice>
    <xs:group ref="prereq"/>
    <xs:group ref="taskreq-d-prereq" />
  </xs:choice>
    </xs:group>

This then allows the members of the taskreq-d-prereq group to occur
wherever <prereq> is allowed.

However, you cannot omit the reference to the "prereq" group or set it's
occurrence to something other than 1, per the rules of xs:redefine.

Given that, I don't see any easy way (or perhaps, any way) to that kind of
constraint using XSD.

If this did work, it would allow the Machinery Industry taskbody
constraint to be implemented in a direct way since the effect of the
constraint as currently defined is identical to simply disallowing any use
of <prereq> or <postreq> while integrating the taskreq domain (because
<prereq> and <postreq> only occur in the task body, so disallowing them
anywhere has the effect of not allowing them only in taskbody).

While it is possible to directly redefine the taskbody content model, it
is not possible to, at the same time, also allow a new element type
(prelreqs and closereqs), because in that case there is not a one-to-one
correspondence between the particles in the original group and the
particles in the redefined group.

Thus, while it's not required for the strict taskbody constraint, the
additional levels of grouping within the XSD version of the taskbody are
required in order to implement the Machinery Industry constraint. So that
answers my earlier question about needing to retain this particular
construct: yes, it's required by the Machinery Industry constraint.

While Eric had early on determined that substitution groups would not work
for DITA, I did a little experimentation to convince myself of that as
well, and I did. At a minimum, substitution requires that if the
substitution head (what we would call the base type) is mixed, then all
elements in the substitution group must also allow mixed content and this
is clearly not acceptable for DITA.

So that pretty much brings us back to where we were before: for certain
XSD constraint use cases, there is no option but to modify the content
models to allow the redefinition required. However, unmodified content
models are constrainable as long as the constraint is only making things
either disallowed or otherwise reducing the base cardinality or making the
optional required. But any case where you must both disallow and extend
(the Machine Industry case) cannot be done with the content models as
directly produced from the RELAX NG.

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC