Subject: Re: [dita] Review of Lightweight DITA

I have reviewed the spec as well and do not have any new comments beyond those expressed already.

Dawn brings up some very good points. If people want that simplicity, why wouldn't they just use HTML or Markdown directly?

On the DocBook standard, we ran into complaints about the number of elements. We addressed this by creating 2 valid subsets: Simplified DocBook and DocBook for Publishers. Both meet the needs of specific audiences, but is still valid subsets.

What makes DITA and DocBook different from plain HTML is the semantic inlines. It helps to create intelligent content. The user community wants simple, web-based interfaces so that they can get structured information from their subject matter experts or from non-traditional writers. There are several vendors who have built such solutions, while still creating valid DITA under the covers.

IMO, Lightweight DITA should be akin to Simplified DocBook in that we should create a valid subset of DITA and make it easier to remove elements that are not needed (for example, programming inlines if they are not writing software documentation). We shouldn't remove the core information types. They still provide the informative distinctions between types of content objects and each serve a particular purpose.

Thanks and best regards,

--Scott

Scott Hudson
Content Strategist

Digital Aviation Learning & Development

Voting member:

Boeing Data Standards Technical Advisory Board

OASIS DocBook TC, Publishers SC (Chair)

OASIS DITA TC, Tech Comm SC, LW DITA SC, Learning Content SC (Secretary)

OASIS DITA Adoption TC

OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TC

Jeppesen  |  Digital Aviation  |  Boeing

55 Inverness Drive East Englewood, CO 80112 | www.jeppesen.com

This document contains only administrative, uncontrolled data under U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations.