Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Breaking a document into smaller pieces

Rune Enggaard Lausen wrote:

> At the end of each subdocument, you put a comment similar to
>
>   <!--
>     Local Variables:
>     mode: xml
>     sgml-parent-document: ("master-file.xml")
>     End:
>   -->
>
> Substitute the name of your file containing the DOCTYPE for
> "master-file.xml".
>
> The next time you load the subdocument PSGML knows where to find the
> reference to the DTD and everything is great again.

I still have problems with psgml and/or xmllint and German special
characters:

If I don't start my chunk-files, say "chapter1.xml", with an
XML-declaration like

I get the following error from xmllint.

xmllint -valid --noout LEDATutorium.xml
chapter1.xml:5: error: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
<title>Auf die Plätze - fertig - los!</title>

Bit if I do so, psgml refuses to read the DTD and says everywehre "no
valid element at thsi point". (I'm using XEmacs; maybe that's the problem?)

Greetings,
Joachim