Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] <phrase> attribute

Daniel,

The docbook standard provides the role attribute as a way
for implementers to add application specific information.
It is typically used to subset an element.  E.g., it is
pretty common to use role on the <emphasis> element to
choose between "normal" and "strong" emphasis.

The standard does not assign any values to role, so in
theory you could ignore it.  However, in practice, you
may want to recognize it in a few places, emphasis being
one example.  I'd suggest looking in two places to find
"commonly used" roles: Bob Stayton's DocBook XSL book and
the DocBook XSL stylesheets, which process the use of role
in a few places.  I'll bet that will cover the most common
uses of role; most other uses are going to be specific to
some small group of users.

Dick Hamilton