Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Using PassiveTex as a FO processor - windows

I was hoping a current PassiveTeX user might respond to this with a How-To
on setting it up and using it.  I'm the author of the answer in Dave
Pawson's FAQ, and I gave up on PassiveTeX for DocBook some time ago.  There
are too many features of XSL-FO that PassiveTeX either does not implement
or does not implement correctly.  On the PassiveTeX website, under
"Concerns and Problems", it says explicitly:
  1.. This is an experimental system to check whether the idea works.
Expect something more polished eventually.
The DocBook FO stylesheet makes use of most of the XSL-FO spec in order to
produce high quality output, and we kept having to disable those features
if passivetex.extenions was set.  I believe someone could write an XSL-FO
stylesheet that restricts itself to those features supported by PassiveTeX,
but the DocBook stylesheet is not it.

In use, PassiveTeX generates lots of error output, but unless you are a TeX
expert you won't understand most of it.  The lack of response to your
message indicates that there doesn't seem to be many people getting it to
work.

The quote above has been there for years and I don't think "eventually"
will ever happen. If PassiveTeX were under active development to move
toward better conformance to the XSL-FO spec, then supporting it would be
worthwhile, but that is not the case.

It might be easier to fix the problems you are seeing with FOP.  For
instance, the crushed numbers when nested lists with inheritance is used is
a bug in the stylesheet, not FOP.  It sets a fixed width for that space,
rather than enlarging it for inherited numbering.  You would get a similar
problem with XEP or Antenna House output for that feature.

DocBook Consulting