Subject: Problems with footnotes in term of varlistentry

It happened that I used the following construct (without much thinking
about the consequences):

  <variablelist>
    <varlistentry id="btn-down">
      </footnote></term>

      <listitem>
        <para>blabla </para>
      </listitem>
    </varlistentry>
  </variablelist>

  ... (several pages between)

[A]
OK, the use of the 1st xref is a clear mistake caused by me. All
transformers crashed when processing the FO stylesheets (xalan produces
a stack overflow, xsltproc did never come back, with saxon I don't know
anymore, what the console said) and it was very hard to find the
problem, because the document validates and after crashing, you don't
get a clue, what's wrong, not even by looking into the incomplete FO
fragment, that was produced by xalan. What astonished me: the HTML
stylesheets don't seem to have problems with this construct.

Is it possible to modify the stylesheet in that way, that it can
recognize running into an infinite loop caused by a circular reference?
Or is it even possible to check this in RNG (don't know much about it,
only that it can express stricter checks than DTD).

[B]
The generated text for the second xref contains a footnotemark. Can this
be avoided? If the reference appears on a different side than the term,
even the footnote text itself is displayed a second time.

Thanks,
Georges

--
Using DTD 4.4 and stylesheet version1.70.0