Subject: Base URI for result of transformation?

What is, or should be, the base URI (for purposes of resolving relative URIs
in "url('...')") for an FO document that is the result of transforming an
input XML document with the DocBook FO stylesheets?

I'm working on testing the xmlroff XSL formatter with the DocBook testdocs,
which have relative URI references in them, and the relative URIs end up as
"url('...')" in the FO document.

To make matters worse, the relative URIs don't resolve from the test docs
anyway.  For example, if 'docbook-testdocs-1.1/tests/stamp.001.xml' refers to
'graphics/stamp.png', the actual 'stamp.png' is in the testdocs distribution
as 'docbook-testdocs-1.1/graphics/stamp.png', not as
'docbook-testdocs-1.1/tests/graphics/stamp.png'.

I can rearrange the testdocs (or add symbolic links) so relative URIs resolve,
but that still leaves me wondering about what the correct base URI for the FO
document that is the result of a transformation.

Is it:

 - The current directory?

 - The directory of the input XML document?

 - The directory of the input XSLT stylesheet?

 - None?

 - Something else?

Regards,

Tony.