Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] remove last section punctation

Mauritz,

The pros may have a better suggestion, but in the meantime, I solved this
problem by overriding the section object.title.template in my customization
layer.

The SAE Standards body has a convention that there can only be a trailing
dot for level 1, and no trailing dot elsewhere.  Here's what I use:

  <xsl:template match="section" mode="object.title.template">
    <xsl:text>%n</xsl:text>
    <xsl:if test="parent::article">
      <!-- trailing dot only for top level sections -->
      <xsl:text>.</xsl:text>
    </xsl:if>
    <xsl:text> %t</xsl:text>
  </xsl:template>

If you left out the <xsl:if test="parent::article">...</xsl:if> I think it
would do what you wanted and never add a trailing dot anywhere.

I also have to be consistent in the TOC, so I make SAE happy, and keep to
the trailing dot convention with the following:

  <!-- Override template in autotoc.xsl to get SAE toc.line format -->
  <xsl:template name="toc.line.prefix">
    <xsl:param name="label" select="''"/>
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="name()='section' and ancestor::appendix">
        <xsl:text>APPENDIX</xsl:text>
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:when test="name()='appendix'">
        <xsl:text>APPENDIX</xsl:text>
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:when test="name()='figure'">
        <xsl:text>FIGURE</xsl:text>
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:when test="name()='table'">
        <xsl:text>TABLE</xsl:text>
      </xsl:when>
    </xsl:choose>
    <xsl:text> </xsl:text>
    <xsl:if test="$label != ''">
      <xsl:copy-of select="$label"/>
    </xsl:if>
    <xsl:if test="parent::article">
      <!-- trailing dot only for top level sections -->
      <xsl:text>.</xsl:text>
    </xsl:if>
  </xsl:template>

Jim