Subject: Request For Clarification: Indexterm processing in auto-index generation.

Hi there,

earlier this year I asked about the expected and 'correct' behavior for
index generation in HTML and pdf, as I found (find) the current behavior
surprising.

Bob Stayton pointed me to this explanation:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/IndexOutput.html

"Instead of page numbers (which do not exist in HTML), each link shows
the title of the section that contained the indexterm. That gives the
reader some context for the link.

The links go to the top of the section rather than to the anchor point
within the section. That's done to permit multiple identical indexterms
in the same section to collapse to a single entry. That's done to avoid
having to repeat the section title."

while I had read in "DocBook: The Definitive Guide":

http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/indexterm.html

"IndexTerms identify text that is to be placed in the index. In the
simplest case, the placement of the IndexTerm in the document identifies
the location of the term in the text. In other words, the IndexTerm is
placed in the flow of the document at the point where the IndexEntry in
the Index should point. In other cases, attributes on IndexTerm are used
to identify the location of the term in the text."

I still find these two texts to contradict each other. I do find the
suggested processing expectation from TDG much more intuitive than the
one explained in "DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide".

At least, I'd appreciate if those two texts could be made to agree on
what the expected processing should be like. :-)

Thanks a lot,
		Stefan