Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook website tutorial

W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 06:41:37PM +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
>> Dick Hamilton and I have been looking at the docbook subset called website.
>> http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/website/
>
> Dave, thanks for your comprehensive work!
Welcome.

> Because I do almost all my documentation using DocBook, I would
> like to generate my web stuff with the same technology.
> Unfortunately, I did not yet understand the principles of
> DocBook website. Maybe you could enlighten me:
>
> - My existing documents are of type "article" or "book", not
>   "website". (How) can I integrate existing documents into the
>   website process?

Take the 'sections' or 'sect1' blocks and make them
into webpage (es).

> - For olinking I already provide a kind of structure
>   description, or "sitemap". To me, it seems, I have to
>   duplicate this work for website, which seems cumbersome and
>   error prone to me. Could you please prove me wrong?

<grin/> Currently no. I'm OK with olink on website with docbook
4.5, but it seems to have become messy with 5.0 and (as yet)
I don't understand it.

With the 4.5 example, no more processing needed (see the writeup)
i.e. you don't have to generate the 'map' as for a docbook book.

> Thanks in advance, cheers!
>
> (Minor points:
>
> - It would be nice to have an example with another build tool
>   than ant, e.g. make. Or another processor such as xsltproc.

make doesn't run on windows (no, I'm not asking newbies to
install cygwin!)
The processor is all down to the ant exec task. No problem
to replace Saxon with that.
   Find the command and I'll add it if you like?

> - It would be nice to have an example for a fancy website with
>   JavaScript, CSS and what not.)

I don't do fancy.
   I don't understand javascript enough to write about it.
    As far as docbook is concerned it's just CDATA content isn't it?
I do use CSS though.
Out of scope? Not sure.
Basically no different from any docbook.
Just add the customization and it works.

Thanks I'll think about that one.

regards

--
Dave Pawson