Subject: RE: [docbook] better internationalization issues again

Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net] wrote:

> The standards (1.0 and 2.0) say the value of the encoding
> attribute must be
> a string:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#output
>
> That should exclude the use of attribute value templates for
> encoding.  I
> don't see any mention in the Saxon doc about an extension
> that would handle
> AVT. Exactly how did you use a variable that worked?

Bob, you are right. I went and looked again at my XSL and I'm actually
using not "xsl:output" but "xsl:result-document", which of course is
available only in XSLT 2.0, and according to the specification it does
allow a variable for the encoding. I had *assumed* that the "encoding"
attribute value would work the same way in all places.

I had not previously understood the subtlety of attributes that accept
templates vs. those that don't. I guess I just tried it and it worked so
I went on. Thanks for enhancing my education.  :)

*************************
Rob Cavicchio
Principal Technical Writer
EMC Captiva
EMC Corporation
10145 Pacific Heights Boulevard, 6th Floor
San Diego, CA 92121-4234

P: (858) 320-1208
F: (858) 320-1010
E: Cavicchio_Rob@emc.com

The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions. Content published
here is not read or approved in advance by EMC and does not necessarily
reflect the views and opinions of EMC.