Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] MHRA and Docbook XSL

Hi Chris,
Regarding id matching, the id() function works with attributes that are
specified in the DTD as attribute type ID.  Just because an attribute is
named "id" does not make it of type ID.  If the DTD is not specified or is
not read, then that association does not work.

The stylesheets needed to handle documents that did not have a working
reference to the DTD, so they use an XSL key (whose name happens to be "id")
to create an index to all attributes with name "id" or "xml:id" (so it works
with DocBook 4 and 5).  You can use this key in a customization layer as
follows to get the node containing the id value specified by a linkend:

select="key('id',@linkend)"

I'm not sure it will help in your case, but this is more efficient than a
global search for an id value using // in the xpath.

From: "Chris Yocum" <cyocum@gmail.com>
To: "DavePawson" <davep@dpawson.co.uk>
Cc: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 6:36 AM

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:22 PM, DavePawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Yocum wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I just wanted to let everyone know that I have written up a first
>> crack at MHRA styling in footnotes for Docbook.
>
> What's MHRA please, for others as ignorant as myself?

Ah, Sorry.  MHRA stands for the Modern Humanities Research Association
(http://www.mhra.org.uk/).

>> There are a few limitations at the moment. Everything is linked
>> to the book tag at the top of the document and thus can only support
>> books at the moment. This is because I couldn't use the ancestor axis
>> to match the linkend attribute of the biblioref tag to something in
>> the bibliography as the bibliography is not an ancestor (it is an
>> ancestral sibling). I am casting about for ways to allow articles to
>> join the fun.
>
> Are you using <link linkend=''> ?
> http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/link.html

No, I am using biblioref which as a linkend attribute.  I link the
linkend attribute with the xml:id of the biblioentry in the
bibliography.

> In which case you should be able to use the id function?
> ( id(@linkend) to get to the target)

I tried that and it didn't seem to work so I ended up using
@id=@linkend, which did seem to work.

>> Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or feedback, I would be very
>> grateful to hear them. Also, I can provide an example bibliography on
>> request. Thank you very much for your time.
>

> Since I'm in no position to say it's 'correct' or not,
> I'll leave that to others!

That's ok.  Thank you for your questions and interest!

All the best,
Chris