Subject: olink basics

Currently we are not "chunking" documentation but at some point I would
like to be able to do that. To that end, because currently there are no
cross-references at all, I want to implement cross-references so they
will work whether or not the documents are "chunked" at transformation.

I had no luck with <olink> because when I did the transform I always got
a failure to resolve the olinks.

To start with I wanted to olink between two chapters in a book. I added
an xml:id to each <chapter> tag and, because all chapter files are in
the same directory, used the following as the olink.db:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE targetset
SYSTEM "targetdatabase.dtd" [
<!ENTITY SDKOverview SYSTEM "SDKOverview.db">
]>
<targetset>

              <document targetdoc="SDKIntroduction"
                   baseuri="CAStorSDKOverview.html">
              </document>

               <document targetdoc="SDKEnumeration">
               </document>

</targetset>

Question: Does the name of "baseuri" have to correspond to anything?
Should it correspond to the name of the chapter (SDKIntroduction) or to
the book (CAStorSDKOverview)?

Link: <olink targetdoc="SDKEnumeration" targetptr="StartMethod"/>

Transform command line:

xsltproc --output c:\<filename> /
--stringparam collect.xref.targets "yes" /
--stringparam target.database.document "olinkdb.xml" /
--stringparam current.docid "CAStorSDKOverview" /
--xinclude C:\<our-custom-xsl> C:\<book-file>

Result:

Writing target.db for book(CAStorSDKOverview)
Error: unresolved olink: targetdoc/targetptr = 'SDKEnumeration/StartMethod'.

--

Steve Johnson, Senior Content Developer
Caringo
stevej@caringo.com