Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: blogging using DocBook articles or so ...

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:01:37 +0200
Jochen+oasis-open@Hayek.name wrote:

> Just to make sure: there is no DocBook envolved at all?
> I would love to see DocBook at the core.

Not sure how it would help with Atom?
Perhaps to create the inserted html?

> And you regard the file format, that "embraces" the articles
> (DocBook?!?), as nice enough?

The wrapper is atom, not docbook, which I publish directly.

> I mean, I am sure, it must actually be nice enough, if it's Dave
> Pawson's work.
>
> Whatever grammar you are using,
> I guess we can derive RNC from that,
> which will enable my happy authoring in emacs with nxml-mode.

I have some code which generates the 'wrapper'
$new tag "Longer title" generates

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<entry xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";
xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";
xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";> <title>Longer title</title>
    <id>100718</id>
    <updated>2010-07-18T18:13:54</updated>
    <author>
        <name>Dave Pawson</name>
        <uri>http://www.dpawson.co.uk/nodesets/100718.xml</uri>
        <email>  .... email adds </email>
    </author>
    <category term="tag" label="Longer title"/>
    <rights>© Dave Pawson 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008,2009</rights>
    <link href="http://www.dpawson.co.uk/nodesets/entries/100718.html";
    rel="alternate"/>
    <link href="http://www.dpawson.co.uk/nodesets/100718.xml";
    rel="self"/>
    <published>2010-07-18T18:13:54</published>
    <summary>tag</summary>
    <content type="xhtml">
    </content>
</entry>

Then I just type html into the div, as html.
I use emacs nxml-mode for authoring.... but nvdl for validation.
Then run a build script, using xslt.

> If I create an article (for the time being I asssume a DocBook
> article in one HTML chunk), how much extra work is it around that?
> do I have to manually keep redundant information like the article
> title and its creation DateTime?

As you can see, some info is required. I use the date as the key 'hook'
with tag and title coming from the command line.

> Can we get away from that sort of redundancy?

From the above, you can see that the html header from docbook is all
redundant?

> I am only asking silly questions and creating cheaky requests.

No, just strikes me as 'I have a hammer' it all looks like
a nail?

I don't really see how docbook can help with a blog distributed in atom?

--

regards

--
Dave Pawson