Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] programlisting page breaks

On 03/15/2011 04:08 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:10:47 -0700
> "Bob Stayton"<bobs@sagehill.net>  wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>> It sounds reasonable for those with long program listings, but maybe
>> not for those who don't.
>> I guess I would like to hear from more people on the list about
>> making this change. If a lot of people are relying on the default
>> keep setting for examples, then changing it will force them to update
>> their stylesheet to restore the keeps. If it is anywhere near half
>> that want the change and half that don't, then I can't see making the
>> change.
>

> I have both long and short programlistings? 3 to 100 lines and more.
> I think it rather judgemental to assume all docbook users
> only have one or the other?
>
> What if I proposed 'no para longer than 3 lines'? would
> that sound sensible?

Thanks Dave,
I agree completely. If we put keep-together="always" on example, then
we're saying "examples must never span more than one page". If someone
volates this rule, the results are stop-ship ugly and the source of the
problem is confusing enough to puzzle even sophisticated DocBook users.
In addition to Dick Hamilton's OP regarding this, I know of users who
were shrinking the fonts of their programlistings and eneded up with
programlistings with unreadably small fonts! The default output should
be shipable at least.

David