Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] footnote in title

Hi Stefan,
I investigated how the book title is handled on the two title pages, and found the
following:

a.  The recto title is processed using the template named 'division.title'.  It uses
that template because it is specified in the titlepage.templates.xml configuration
file for book titles (and part, set, and reference).

b.  The verso title is processed using the template named 'book.verso.title', again
because that template is specified in the titlepage.templates.xml configuration file.

The difference is that the 'division.title' template applies templates in
mode="object.title.markup", while the 'book.verso.title' template does not.  The
'object.title.markup' mode engages the gentext templates in the locale file such as
common/en.xml and then fills in the title.

However, the object.title.markup mode has a template param named 'allow-anchors' that
allows the title to be processed in one of two modes: one with active links (normal
mode) and one without (mode="no.anchor.mode").  The two modes are necessary because in
some contexts (table of contents, running headers), you don't want the title to
include footnotes, index entries, etc.

The default value of the template's param is allow-anchors="0", which means no links.
So if you want links then you have to pass the "1" value when you apply the template.
The stylesheets pass that param value for the primary title in most cases.
Unfortunately, the division.title template does not do that.  I believe that is a bug,
as division title is used only for the primary title and not for those other purposes,
so it should support any such links.

If you want a local fix, you should copy the template named division.title from
fo/division.xsl to your customization layer and add the param.

Change:

  <xsl:variable name="title">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="$node" mode="object.title.markup"/>
  </xsl:variable>

to:

  <xsl:variable name="title">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="$node" mode="object.title.markup">
      <xsl:with-param name="allow-anchors" select="1"/>
    </xsl:apply-templates>
   </xsl:variable>

That should fix the footnote.