Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Removing HTML TOC from epub

Hi Chris,
Regarrding your first question, you can set the stylesheet param named 'generate.toc' to empty to turn off the TOC chunk.  You will still get the NCX toc.

I noticed the same issue with customizing the epub 2 stylesheet.  If your customization consists only of parameter settings, then importing it should work.  However, it is a chunking stylesheet, so any template changes require paying careful attention to import precedence for them to work.  Generally that requires two separate customization files, but the epub/docbook.xsl needs to be rearranged for that to work.  Based on the experience I gained from creating the epub 3 stylesheet, I plan to rearrange the files in the  epub directory for EPUB 2 output to make it easier to customize.

From: Chris Ridd
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:26 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Removing HTML TOC from epub

Epubs have a table of contents used by readers (toc.ncx?) which makes the generated HTML table of contents rather superfluous. How does one prevent its generation in 1.76.1?

Actually a rather more general question is how (or what's best practice) to customize the epub stylesheets. The shipped epub/docbook.xsl doesn't really seem amenable to being customized by an importing stylesheet. The FO stylesheets are significantly more flexible in this regard.

Or should I be editing a copy of epub/docbook.xsl and customizing it that way? There's a lot of logic in that stylesheet that I really don't want to copy and try and keep in sync with the shipping file.

Cheers,

Chris