Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Upgrading from DocBook 4.5

Hi Jeff,
My book has a little bit of information on getting started with DocBook5:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/rng/5.0/

The DocBook 5 schemas can be located starting at docbook.org under the Schemas tab.  That links to the OASIS site with the RNG schemas.

Regarding the stylesheets, yes, that is the correct url on SourceForge.

For validation, you can start with:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ProcesingDb5.html#Db5Validation

Several XML editors also validate RelaxNG, including Oxygen and XMLMInd among others.

Gotchas?  The main one is to remember to add the namespace prefix to all element names in your stylesheet customization. Until you get in the habit of doing that, it is probably the most frequent error, and it does not generate an error message (it just doesn't work).

As was stated earlier, 5.1 is still under development, and so can change before being finalized. If you want stability, go with 5.0.  But 5.1 has the assembly stuff, which is the new way of building documents from modular files.  That's bleeding edge, though.

Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 11:17 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Upgrading from DocBook 4.5

I'm considering upgrading my DocBook 4.5 toolchain and had some basic question before I start:

- Where's the best guide on how to convert DocBook 4.5 XML files to DocBook 5.x? Is the Transition Guide (http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/) the best place to start? Are there other guides?
- Where should I go to download the RelaxNG schema?
- Where should I go to download the latest DocBook XSL stylesheets for DocBook 5.x? Should I go here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook/files/docbook-xsl-ns/
- What tools for validation are there available for DocBook 5.x?
- Are there any gotchas I should be aware of?
- Is there any reason I shouldn't move to DocBook 5.1 (rather than DocBook 5.0)?

Regards,
Jeff Powanda
Vocera Communications, Inc.