Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] dbfo-need processing instruction and FOP 1.0

I customized the pi.dbfo-need template as you suggested and I’m OK with the results.

I see your point about FOP not handling vertical space well. However, there are times when dbfo-need comes in handy when trying to insert soft page breaks before informal elements. Given the vertical spacing problems, however, I’ll only use it when it’s absolutely necessary.

Regards,

Jeff

From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:54 PM
To: Jeff Powanda; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Jeff,

The feature was turned off for FOP 1.0 as of 1.76.1 because it did not work as it should.  I last investigated this issue in July 2010:

As described in that message, the issue was incorrect management of vertical space when using space-after.precendence="force".  If that property is now supported in FOP 1.0, then it should work. I don't have time to test this right now.   To turn it on for FOP 1, you will need to customize the template named "pi.dbfo-need" in fo/pi.xsl to remove the xsl:choose clause that excludes $fop1.extensions = 1.  I'll be curious to see what your results are.