Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] nested lists being displayed incorrectly

Hi Carlos,

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:15:06 -0700
Carlos Araya <carlos.araya@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am working with the following nested lists
>
> <orderedlist>
> 	<listitem>It declares the document to be XML by indicating a
> version and an encoding.</listitem>
> <listitem>It defines the root
> element for our document (book) and the following additional
> elements</listitem>
> <itemizedlist> <listitem>The default namespace;
> the default type of document we are using (docbook) along with its
> namespace address</listitem> <listitem>The namespace for xlink (used
> to create hyperlinks) with its namespace address</listitem>
> <listitem>The version of Docbook we are using</listitem>
> <listitem>The default language for the document</listitem>
> </itemizedlist> <listitem>The structure for the rest of the document:
> title for the book, author information and a sample chapter for us to
> work with</listitem> </orderedlist>
>
> Is the syntax correct? [...]

Well, almost. It seems it is syntactically correct, but it is not
valid. For example, a listitem like this

  <listitem>It declares the document to be XML by indicating a
      version and an encoding.</listitem>

needs to have a para(!):

  <listitem>
     <para>It declares the document to be XML by indicating a
      version and an encoding.</para>
  </listitem>

If you use a <listitem> with the raw text, this is not allowed
according to the DocBook schema(s).

_Before_ you transform your text into HTML (or any other format),
_always_ validate your DocBook documents. If your documents are not
valid, fix it. The DocBook stylesheets rely on valid DocBook documents.
If you do not deliver valid DocBook, "strange" things can happen. :)

Find more information here:

 http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/listitem.html
 http://doccookbook.sf.net/html/en/dbc.markup.lists.html

--