Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] conditional processing with mathml and equations as images

Hi Tim,
That method would work, but the stylesheets already provide a mechanism for selecting different imageobjects for different outputs, without needing to use profiling.  You can use the role attribute, and then select which role value you want to use at runtime.  See this reference for more information:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/GraphicSelection.html

If you use custom role values, you will need to set the 'preferred.mediaobject.role' parameter at runtime.

From: Tim Arnold
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:07 AM

hi, I need to process my DocBook 5 xml to html for two different types of html: one uses mathml and the other type uses images for math content.

Is the following pseudo-markup the appropriate structure? Here I use the informalequation element, but for a real document I would also include inlineequation with the same content structure.

informalequation
--mediaobject
----alt (contains escaped latex equation markup)
----imageobject condition=plain
------imagedata fileref=
----imageobject condition=fancy
------imagedata
--------mml:content

So I could process the xml with for condition=fancy to get the mathml rendered in the html and condition=plain to get img tags in the html.

Is this the right way to do this?
thanks,
--Tim