docbook-publishers message

Subject: Re: [docbook-publishers] Publishers schema changed

No offense taken, Norm! Since Dublin Core was only available in XSD, we
made a "best guess" at how to reproduce the patterns to conform to the
Dublin Core specification. I think you are correct that the simple
literal was meant to be restricted to containing a string.

 From the Dublin Core XML Guidelines
(http://dublincore.org/documents/2003/04/02/dc-xml-guidelines/):

    * A /qualified DC record/ is made up of one or more /properties/ and
      their associated /values/.
    * Each /property/ is an attribute of the /resource/ being described.
    * Each /property/ must be either:
          o one of the 15 DC elements,
          o one of the other elements recommended by the DCMI (e.g.
            audience) [DCTERMS
            <http://dublincore.org/documents/2003/04/02/dc-xml-guidelines/#DCTERMS>],
          o one of the /element refinements/ listed in the DCMI Metadata
            Terms recommendation [DCTERMS
            <http://dublincore.org/documents/2003/04/02/dc-xml-guidelines/#DCTERMS>].
    * /Properties/ may be repeated.
    * Each /value/ is a literal string.
    * Each /value/ may have an associated /encoding scheme/.
    * Each /encoding scheme/ has a /name/.
    * Each literal string /value/ may have an associated language (e.g.
      en-GB).

Note, that the above guidelines are a bit dated, and there is a new
version of the schema available in RDF / GRDDL. I do not think we want
to add this level of complexity. We may still need to take a closer look
at the Dublin Core portion of the schema, especially the "any" pattern.

Thank you Norm for troubleshooting this!

Best regards,

--Scott

Scott Hudson
Scott.Hudson@flatironssolutions.com