Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] 5.0b1 distrib?

Norman Walsh wrote:
> How does this look for the 5.0b1 distribution?

Overall it looks good for me, see comments bellow:

> README
> docs/howto.xml
> docs/howto.html
> docs/howto.pdf

I think that howto should be placed into distribution, but at the same
time I think that we should have possibility to update it more often
then schemas. How we will maintain this discrepancy then? For example we
can update only directly accessible version of document at
http://docbook.org/xml/5.0b1/docs/howto.*, but then on-line content
wouldn't be consistent with contents of the archive. If we will modify
also archive we would have different variants of distributions with the
same filename. And issuing new version number only for update of howto
without real schema change is also not very tempting idea.

I know that it would require more packaing work, but what about placing
howto only inside archive and then make it public on some URL that is
not depending on minor DocBook version number, something like
http://docbook.org/xml/db5howto/. To maintain consistency between
archive and its unpacked web variant there could be redirect that will
always map http://docbook.org/xml/5.0b1/docs/howto.* to
http://docbook.org/xml/db5howto/howto.* With this setup, there always be
some reasonably fresh version of howto inside archive and people who
will go directly to web will be always redirected to the newest version
of howto.

There are also several images referenced from howto, they should be also
packaged.

> docs/spec.xml
> docs/spec.html
> docs/spec.pdf
> VERSION
> catalog.xml
> dtd/docbook.dtd
> dtd/docbookxi.dtd
> xsd/docbook.xsd
> xsd/xml.xsd
> xsd/xlink.xsd
> xsd/docbookxi.xsd
> xsd/xi.xsd
> rng/docbook.rnc
> rng/docbook.rng
> rng/docbookxi.rnc
> rng/docbookxi.rng
> sch/docbook.sch

I thought that you have planned to include V4 to V5 upgrading
stylesheets as a part of the distribution, but I didn't see it in the list.

> That'd all be in an archive file and, for example, under
> http://docbook.org/xml/5.0b1/

Sounds good. I abandoned my previous idea about placing it under
/schemas/. Your proposal seems good and consistent with previous URL
allocation policy.

				Jirka

   Nejbližší termíny školení: DocBook 5.-7.12. * XSL-FO 19.-20.12.
      XSLT 17.-20.10. * XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature