Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] legalsection versus section in legalnotice

Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net> writes:
> Yes, by default the formatting of legalsection is indistinguishable
> from section. It is up the implementor to customize it if they want
> to. Making it an element makes it easier to customize formats,
> easier to find and maintain, and easier to extract for review by a
> legal department.

I understand those benefits, but allowing it to be randomly interspersed
with other âordinaryâ sections seemsâodd to me. I donât understand what
semantics are being represented by a section that is indistinguishable
from its surrounding sections but has a different element name.

I also forsee a day where someone has used cut-and-paste to carelessly
spread âlegalsectionâ throughout their document.

> Regarding numbering, the stylesheets currently number section, sect1
> through sect5, and simplesect as the same numbering set. We would
> add legalsection to that set. I'm not clear where the complexity you
> are referring to comes in?

*shrug* Itâs not a huge complexity, but now counting requires matching
across yet another element name. And note that section and sect(n).

Speaking of sect(n), how does legalsection fit into that hierarchy,
or does it not?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | To think is not enough; you must think
http://nwalsh.com/            | of something.--Jules Renard