Subject: ulink and alternate transformations

Hello all,

I just realized that if I use the ulink element and wish to produce say,
for simplicity's sake, two output formats: PDF (with links) and html I
had no idea how to deal with that in the XML source. As I see it now
there are two possible options:

1) Two source files, one for each output format:

    ulink for html output: <ulink url="someFile.html">some file</ulink>

    unlink for PDF output: <ulink url="someFile.pdf">some file</ulink>

2) One source where the file name is supplied without an extension:
<ulink url="someFile.">some file</ulink>
where the stylesheet must add the appropriate extension.

Which way is correct? I would think that there must be a method that
allows a single source to produce a large variety of transformed output
without requiring rework of the source. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff Biss