Subject: Re: DocBook and DITA

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 12:25:59PM -0700,
 Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 47 lines which said:

> am hoping to move the browser beyond the traditional role as an HTML
> viewer into a more generalized XML viewer.

Very good idea, IMHO.

> One notion that I've been toying with has been to integrate either
> DocBook or DITA support (or both) into the 9.0 browser, due out in
> 2007, and would be interested in hearing from the people on this
> list both what you think of this

I don't think it is sensible to add support for a specific langague
such as Docbook (remember that many Docbook users actually use a
customization, and that Docbook evolves over time, so hardcoding
Docbook knowledge in the browser would be a mistake).

IMHO, you should instead support XML parsing + validation (with
RelaxNG) + CSS + XSLT and so you could work with any XML language.