Subject: Proper use of a Legend for a Figure

Title: KCC Stationery
Hello all,

What is the proper docbook structure for a legend of a figure?

I have several <figure> elements and I'm unsure weather a legend (which is an orderedlist wrapped in a <textobject> placed in the <mediaobject> inside the <figure>) should be in the <figure> or outside.

some examples of what I'm talking about:
<figure>
<mediaobject>
<imageobject/>
<textobject>