Subject: Customizing table of contents in HTML output

I'd like to generate a table of contents in my HTML output that contains extra information about each chapter of my book.  Specifically, I'd like the table of contents to list not only the titles of each chapter, but each chapter's revision.

Something resembling the following:

DOCUMENT    REVISION
chapter1title     20061012
chapter2title     20050617
chapter3title     20060205

So, if I were to create the table of contents manually, I'd stick the following table into a preface of my book:

<title>Table of Contents</title>
<tgroup cols="5">
<thead>
<row>
  <entry>DOCUMENT</entry>
  <entry>REVISION</entry>
</row>
</thead>
<tbody>
<row>
  <entry><xi:xinclude
    href=""" chapter1.xml"
    xpointer="xpointer(/chapter/chapterinfo/title/text())"
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude" /></entry>
  <entry><xi:xinclude
    href=""chapter1.xml"    xpointer="xpointer(/chapter/chapterinfo/revhistory/revision[position=last()]/revnumber/text())"
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude " /></entry>
</row>
</tbody>
</tgroup>

In this manner, I could manually create a table of contents in the format I wanted.  But what if I'd rather do this with an XSL customization layer, so that the whole table of contents would be generated automatically?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I understand how to make basic customization layers, but I've never done anything this complex.

Thanks for any input you may offer.