Subject: Re: [docbook] Float next to section title

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for your hints. Your solution works fine, if there is only a float next to one section title (or alternating title with float and without).
However, if a section with a float next to it follows another such section, the "clear" attribute no longer helps.
A minimal example might be a lot more descriptive in this case.

my_doc.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<article xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0">
  <title>Minimal Example</title>
  <section>
    <title>First section</title>
    <figure float="right">
    <title>DocBook 5</title>
      <mediaobject>
        <imageobject>
          <imagedata fileref="http://docbook.org/graphics/smallcover.gif"; format="GIF" />
        </imageobject>
      </mediaobject>
    </figure>
    <para>A bit of text ...</para>
  </section>
  <section>
    <title>Second section</title>
    <figure float="right">
    <title>DocBook XSL</title>
      <mediaobject>
        <imageobject>
          <imagedata fileref="http://docbook.org/graphics/xslcover.png"; format="PNG" />
http://docbook.org/graphics/xslcover.png
        </imageobject>
      </mediaobject>
    </figure>
    <para>More text ...</para>
  </section>
</article>

my_style.xsl
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet
     xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
     xmlns:db="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
     version="1.0">
<xsl:import href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/docbook.xsl"/>
<xsl:attribute-set name="section.title.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="clear">both</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>
<xsl:param name="formal.title.placement">figure after</xsl:param>
</xsl:stylesheet>

I thought about customly changing the html output and indeed, if the image-<div> is preceding the title-<div>, the image is positioned next to the title if I use clear="none". However, this only works for the first section and makes the HTML code a bit confusing.
Therefore, I would be grateful for any hint towards a solution.

Kind regards,
Julia