Subject: Requirements and notes

DSML 2.0 Requirements discussed 9/12 on tele-con

1) A purpose of DSML 2.0 is to provide an XML-oriented interface to
information that is presumed to be stored in one or more LDAP
directories.

2) To the extent that the DSML 2.0 specification will provide a
canonical mapping of XML document structure to an LDAP directory/schema
the focus will be on LDAP version 3 directories. This does not preclude
development of support for LDAP version 2 but that is not the focus of
DSML 2.0.

3) DSML 2.0 will provide support for serialization of LDAP (version 3)
directory contents, expression via XML-based facilities of both search
and update/creation operations of documents that are then mapped into
LDAP operations.

4) DSML 2.0 will not necessarily adopt the DSML 1.0 serialization as the
canonical DSML 2.0 serialization of LDAP directory content.

Notes:

1) We need to develop some examples of divergence between the 'native'
XML object model and the LDAP object model so that we can motiviate the
DSML 2.0 document virtualization of LDAP directory contents and the
XML-based manipulation of these contents.

2) Do we focus on a normative transport of both directory content and
operations via XML or on an abstract API and example language bindings
or both?

ciao,
Christine