Subject: RE: DRAFT DATA MODEL

Chris Ridd [mailto:chris.ridd@messagingdirect.com] wrote:

>There were efforts several years ago to map OIDs into DNs. I don't recall
>what came of it, but presumably it resulted in DNs like:
>
>	<arc=12, arc=4, arc=5, arc=2, ...>
>
>representing the title attribute type.

This was addressed in ITU-T X.660 (Naming, Addressing and Registration)
Amendment 1 (10/96) "Incorporation of object identifiers components" which
defined oidRoot object class (oid:2.17.2.3) a subclass of 'Alias'; oidC1
attribute (oid:2.17.2.0); oidC2 attribute (oid:2.17.2.1); oidC attribute
(oid:2.17.2.2); oidRootNf name form (oid:2.17.2.4). An example in LDAP form
would be:

  dn: oidC=840 + oidC2=16 + oidC1=2 ;represents <joint.country.US>

  dn: oidC=113730,oidC=1,oidC=840 + oidC2=16 + oidC1=2
;represents<joint.country.US.org.Netscape>

  dn: oidC=12,oidC=4 + oidC2=5 + oidC1=2   ;represents <title attribute:
2.5.4.12>

  dn: oidC=0,oidC=2 + oidC2=17 + oidC1=2 	 ;represents <oidRoot object
class: 2.17.2.3>

Bill

-
William Aitken
mailto:William.Aitken@globalknowledge.com
+1-613-736-6108 x151  fax +1-613-736-6105
Enterprise Directories: Consulting and Training
http://db.globalknowledge.com/catalog/catcourse.asp?cat=36
http://www.globalknowledge.com
Global Knowledge Network
2430 Don Reid Drive