Subject: RE: DRAFT DATA MODEL

James Tauber [JTauber@bowstreet.com] wrote:

>If you look at DSML 1.0, there is no tree structure other than that
implicit
>in the DNs.

I think that DSML 1.0 was only addressing entries already existing in a
directory. However, if all LDAP operations including 'add' (creation) are to
be addressed in DSML 2.0, then a tree structure and naming rules concepts
are required because 1) a parent must exist, 2) naming attribute(s)must be
declared, and 3)the RDN of the child must be unique amongst its siblings (if
any).

>As I see it there are two approaches that can be taken:
>
>	(1) treat the tree structure as derived from the DN
>	(2) treat the DN as derived from the tree structure
>
>The advantage of the former is that is allows us to deal with
directory-like
>entries that are uniquely identified but not hierarchically without losing
>any capabilities of DSML for dealing with entries where they *are*
>hierarchical.

The DN can be thought of as a registration of the unique name of entry in
the DIT namespace. As such uniqueness and not the tree concept is mandatory.
If, however, we are considering the actual creation of the entry (with the
identity of the DN) in the server/DIB, then the tree structure and the rules
for adding leaves to it are mandatory. The DN is the registered 'hook' to
the result of the addition of the leaf (RDN) entry.

Having said that, can we consider LDAP as an explicitly constrained subset
of (2).

Am I making sense? It is Friday pm. :-)

>> Your data model makes the assumption of a tree structure, in
>> that RDNs of entries must be unique amongst siblings.
>
>Right, I put that in but I'd like to relax it in the information model to
>make it (slightly) broader.
>
>> The structure of a DIT is defined by directory structure rules, which
>> involve a name form (what attributes must be used in RDNs)
>> and a structural
>> object class. Entry contents are themselves defined by
>> directory content
>> rules (rules over and above what the object classes define.)

>Hmm. Does the information model need to include these rules?

Yes, I think so. See my comments above.

Bill